Friday, January 22, 2010

New address for Fedora CVS server

I found out that I can not work anymore on my older checkouts from Fedora CVS server. Basically,  when I do a "cvs update" it takes a long time to reply something like:
[giallu@bingo sysprof]$ cvs update
ssh: connect to host port 22: Connection timed out
cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

Thanks to the nice guys in the #fedora-admin IRC channel, the issue was quickly narrowed down to the move of the CVS server address from to

So, in order to fix the issue you've got two ways:
  1. checkout again your modules from the new address
  2. update the CVS/Root file in each subdirectory to use the new address
I choose to do 2, but of course digging for all the Root files and editing them manually was not my idea of "fun"...

So, here is a recipe for updating the Root files with a single command:
[giallu@bingo sysprof]$ grep -lr * | xargs -I ___ sed -i '{s/}' ___